Stayed back in India to persue passion in agriculture

Register
success in agriculture in india is a night mare. but not in tamil nadu. For every business to know the result it will take two to three years to reach the break even point. In Agriculture u can yield in every season. A young man (aged 63) he is from Chennai having 20 years in garment industry owing 5 units entered into agriculture without knowing ABCD. He bought 40 acrs of land at a low cost. and developed modern agricultre. He planted samlings of mango 1500, cocanut 1000, seasonal vegetables, modern dairy with bufello 125 cows 50, small pountry. constructed 16000 ltrs overhead tank. got permission to taken water from river cauvery in tractors. transporting water from 12 kms. His total investment from the begining is 1.5 cr. He was been awarded as best farmer by the Collector of the dist. His farm is model for tamilnadu. Persons from IT visiting his unit for study.

Now he is 67, after 4 years, the value of project is 8 cr. US buyers demanding him for immediate settlment to buy the developed land.

You decide, whether Agriculture is profitable in tamil nadu of not.

regards.
Dear Sir,

Pls let me know the details of this project. I would surely like to visit the place and study. I am also planning to set-up an agricultural project and make it a full fledged business activity in Konkan region. I currently own cultivable land of 26 acres and planning to add more adjacent land.

Regards,
Yogesh

editorialteam

Working in an IT environment year after year takes one to boredom. V Ravikumar, B K Ravishankar, Gratian Perez and R Ramamurthi, all of us thought that we should do something different that can help us contribute to the society that has made us what we are today. We could have chosen any industry at that point of time. But all of us are nature lovers and have enormous zeal and passion for agriculture.

We thought that if our country has to really grow, we need to promote agriculture not just as an industry that provides food security but as a propeller that will take us great heights. Thus agriculture became our choice. Having chosen Agriculture, we want to do it differently. Hence we spent our initial days in planning as to how we can move forward. We identified the challenges that this industry is facing. In our opinion, the key challenges the industry is facing are as follows:

1) Operational efficiency and viability of the business as such and 2) Infrastructure and supply chain bottlenecks

On our research we found that if we need to increase the efficiency and the viability of the business, we can do that only when we can reduce the input cost in a price sensitive market, where the product's output value is beyond our control. Thus we came to a conclusion that organic and integrated farming is the only viable way where we can make this business more viable. It not only helps sustain but also provides good revenue opportunities over a long term.

To address the second challenge, we found that we had adopted a unique business model that helps us reach the end customers (with practically no middle men). Hence we put in efforts to identify a market segment that can provide us high margin without any supply bottlenecks.

We concluded that if we need to sell our products with a good margin, we should reach out to the customers directly. Hence our research of the challenges that the industry is facing helped us design a business model that addresses them in a unique and better manner.

Hence, in 2007 February, our company Lake Forest Farmtech was established. All the four partners have equal stake in the firm and actively participate in pursuing our goals. As of date we have so far acquired around 65 acres of land in Sikkanapalli Village, Berikai town, Shoolagiri Taluk, Krishnagiri district.

We all are managing our profession and passion in parallel.

As shared by-
Mr. Ravikumar.V, Managing Partner
Lake Forest Farmtech

jafor

BD Agro Market

BD agro market is an online market. Ours is the first and only market of this type in Bangladesh. We collect our items directly from our gardens and make them available to our customers. Our products are free from formalin or any other harmful chemical material. You can order us online and get your product at home as we have got a courier-like service. You can pay us using Papal, Skrill, Payza, Dutch Bangla Bank online service, Western Union & Cash. And if you wish you can also collect your orders directly from nearest garden of ours. Our popularity is increasing day by day at home and abroad.

Last edited:

agri1972

It is great to hear hi-tech people focus on plants

Since they study engineering they have differential approach which will help to stream line and commercialize agriculture and allied business.

Hope the ideologies from engineers will help biologists to intense their productivity and convert them in to cash.

nkjohri

Savera Farms

Interesting thread..
Looks like there are more of us around, techie2aggies, and it is heartening. I could not agree more with several comments above. Agri in India is long overdue fundamental changes, practical policies and lastly - interest from educated, well heeled entrepreneurs who bring best practices to play here. Exploiting demand - supply is the easy route, which is why most of us here abhor middlemen. And that is also the reason, I hope the educated, enterprising entrepreneurs among us take the road less traveled and inspire other with new, faster, better way to seek value in this field - Be bold, be courageous friends!

:)

editorialteam

In agriculture...no doubt, you need planning and you need luck! Start small and go slow…. Some things will work out and many will not. I would suggest taking it up for a couple of seasons and then making up your mind. And please don’t over extend your resources because after you reach that point all your activities will become highly constrained and you will be living in misery like so many farmers in INDIA. Remember it’s a ratio of what you put in and what you get out…. That’s all! There are too many middle men in this market and that has to be removed. I really appreciate guys like Venky who are hands on into this and are making the right moves in this sector. Please follow his activities at www.efarm.in

As replied by-
Mr. Harihara Sudhan, Business Head
Perikali Trading Company

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Khathri,

Mr. Harihara Sudhan, Business Head
Perikali Trading Company

replies to your query -

From your scenario (Area Guntur/ between solar panels with 2.5m spacing), I would suggest ground level vegetable plants like gourds/ ground nuts etc. They will perform well in Guntur and at the same time they will absorb most of your heat so your solar panels will perform more efficiently. How much water do you have available for this venture? Please work that out and then choose the plants.