Need help in selecting coconut Breed ..

Register

karthikudt

HI , this is karthikeyan from coimbatore(Tamil Nadu). I am here to know about the breeds of coconut .

We have 30 acres of empty land in our hometown and me and my dad are planning to plant coconut for the same,

We have two types in our mind Deejay and Gangabondam.

Experts pl tell me which type is good based on the Copra , tender coconut , High yielding , lifespan , and the suitable soil types(our land has red soil).

we have thought to sell tender coconuts in month of april, may and June since its a summer time , rest leave it for Copra .

Please also tell me with the copra weight that these two guys have..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ashwini

Hi

Gangabondam

It is green in colour, semi-tall type, found grown in Andhra Pradesh. It is an irregular bearer, but early bearing; commences flowering about 3-4 years after planting.
It bears medium seized oblong nuts with mean yield of 65 nuts/palm/year (range 30-120), copra content is comparatively high (160 g) and quality is good. The oil content is about 68%.
This is prized for its nut water quality, and is a valuable parent. The L.O.X.G.B. is a released hybrid named as 'Laksha Ganga'.

Regards
Ashwini

karthikudt

Thanks for the Response.

Thanks a lot Ashwini , In the mean time , i also tried to get info regarding the Deejay (popular in tn) . But i cannot find proper info reg that.

Can you please tell me a bit regarding this guy also . Coz it will be much useful when i choose the breed,,

Also please tell me how many seedlings can be planted in one acre.(For both the types).

Thanks in advance.

Deejay is on Sholavandan road (on the way to Madurai), take a right turn the which leads to Naagar Theertham for the D.J Farm, catch hold of any book on Thennai Sakupadi

rds, siva