I am in IT field. I want to move to agriculture

Register

info2rajesh1359

Hi All,

I am currently working in IT field. I have an interest to move and grow agricultural things. My family from agricultural background. So we are interested to grow and wish to get profit. If it is profitable, i wish to be a full time farmer.

Place : Palakkad, Kerala
Land area : 40 cents/ 0.4 Acre

Questions :
1. What are the plants I can grow in Palakkad using Green/Poly HOuses. How much coast. I dont know about subsidy. How much I can expect from the Govt.
2. Is this a good decision. Cant afford if it is not profitable.

3. Advantages and Disadvantages - I expecting some real experience.

Please share you experience.

Thanks and Regards
Rajesh

prathap65

Only advantages no disadvantage. Heartly Welcome to farming field.. just half acre land is enough to get nearly 40k per month..all the best

sivark

Hi,

Taking up farming is not a bad decision, really a good one. I am also from Advt. feild, but now I quit my job and started learning, researching and trying out full time farming. Its been only 10 months since I quit my job. I don't own any farm land. So these are the basics I learnt.

Before quitting your job try and learn the basics of farming and things that you need, what will be the initial investment.
The major issue in TN today is water and rain. So plz check you have enough water to cultivate in your land. And have chat with the local farmers about the crops they cultivate, rain pattern, about your soil fertility and what crops can be grown in your soil.

There are lot more to talk and share. Everyday is a learning in the farm.
All the best.

vellai

Hi All,

I am currently working in IT field. I have an interest to move and grow agricultural things. My family from agricultural background. So we are interested to grow and wish to get profit. If it is profitable, i wish to be a full time farmer.

Questions :
1. What are the plants I can grow in Palakkad using Green/Poly HOuses. How much coast. I dont know about subsidy. How much I can expect from the Govt.

Thanks and Regards
Rajesh
Reality may be different from what we are passionate about. Better to continue in IT engaging occasionally in agriculture.

dhubulli

Agriculture is a glamorous for many professionals. Why? Because many of us think that by bringing technology to the field one can be successful. But the fact is all agri product depends on market forces and most poly house products are perishable in nature. So getting good price is a problem. Secondly, poly house cultivation requires proper training.
One can get theoretical profit of 12 to 16 lakhs per acre of land in poly house but you never achieve it. Some crops may fail even with your best of efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsrana

Hi All,

Questions :

Thanks and Regards
Rajesh
call me /whatsapp 9416911250, Dr. J. S. RANA, Ph.D (ANIMAL SCIENCE) NATIONAL DAIRY RESEARCH INSTITUTE, INDIAN COUNSIL OF AGRICULTURE RESEARCH, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA. KARNAL, HARYANA,INDIA, NDRIJSRANA@GMAIL.COM