Become a Farmer

Register

maheshm

Hello Everyone,

My first post on this forum.

We have some agriculture land in India. we are currently settled in UK. My granddad bought some agriculture land long time ago. after his death, land passed on to my dad. his name is registered as farmer on documents.

My question is, shall I register my name as a farmer when I go down to india next time. my dad is planning to sell all lands when he goes to india next time. Do I have to register my name before that or I can do it anytime? how long this process takes as I am only planning to go for two weeks. I can extend if require but not sure if it's worth going threw all this. in future, I like to do some investement but not sure at this stage.

what are benifits to become a farmer in gujarat?

Mahesh

rkakar

Not sure what you are asking. Why do you want to register your name on the land if your father is selling the land?

However if I interpret your question, you want to know what is the process for buying land in india for foreign citizens.

Indian law states that a PIO or OCI cannot purchase agricultural land but he/she can inherit land that was purchased by forefathers. So you should be able to register your name in the title deeds by way of inheritance but you wont be able to buy additional land. Also for sale of land, you can only sell inherited land to an Indian citizen.

Gujarat offers relatively cheap land but because of scarcity of water you will be limited to what you can grow. It all depends on what you want to do so again not sure what you are asking about the benefits of becoming a farmer in gujrat?

maheshm

thank you

Thank you Rkakar,

Sorry about my misleading question.

I was planning to do some investement in india so thought about buying property. when I spoken to my friend he said why don't you buy land instead of property. he said I can buy cheap land in india if I register my name as farmer.

i really don't know much about lands in india so didn't know how to ask question. All my friends who are from india talk about buying land but they can not purcahse it because they are not farmers.

I thought with OCI/POI card i can buy any kind of land. If i can not buy new land then there's no point registering my name as farmer.