Advice needed from Sheep/Goat Farm Experts!!

Register

aabyy

Dear members,

I have come here today to seek some proper guidance regarding the establishment of Sheep/Goat farm. I have an unfinished Sheep Farm near Bangalore, Karnataka. I have personally visited some farms, spoke to few people but was not quite satisfied with what I saw or heard. As I have completed my studies from U.S.A and moved back to India only a few years ago, I lack proper exposure to Sheep/Goat Business. So I kindly request all those experts in this field of business to please help me out to complete my Sheep Project.

If someone could help me out in clearing a few doubts of mine, I would really appreciate that.

-I have completed the construction of Sheds.
-I have constructed 3 Sheds (50ft x 30ft each)
-Silage pits have been dug.

1. What are the legal requirements for this business?
2. Insurance needed? if so, who provides and the cost details.
3. Intensive or Semi Intensive farming? (land limited)
4. Can only Lamb Fattening be a viable business option without breeding?
5. How is the breed Bannur? (Only meat purpose, Bangalore market)
6. Any other reliable good breeds for meat purpose? (Bangalore market)
7. Is Bannur suitable for Intensive Farming?
8. Nutrition requirements of Bannur?
9. How much Feed/Maize/Lucerne requirement per day/per sheep?
10. Apart from Maize and Lucerne what else could be fed to sheeps?
11. How to make pens?
12. How many sheeps in one pen?
13. Are pens really required in Lamb Fattening?
14. How much maize could be harvested from one Acre?
15. Fresh cut grass required or just silage will do?
16. How many acres of maize/lucerne needed for 500 Bannur sheeps?

If someone could take the pains of answering to these above questions, I would be really thankful to them! Patiently waiting.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

aabyy

I have some pictures of the constructed sheds that I want to upload here but for some reason I am not able to do it. Is anyone familiar with the process of uploading pictures? If so, please guide me.

Regards,

smy82482

Hello abrar
I will try to answer your questions.
1.Legal requirements are nothing unless u export them.Just provide your goat farm information to your gramsevak and talathi.Its safe.
2.Yes insurance is must.Insurance is provided by the government with 50% subsidy on insurance cost.A goat of 10,000 is insured in 150rs by united india insurance.
3.Semi intensive is good.As there is low risk of dying of goats due to deworming.
4.Breeding gives u more profit rather than lamb flattening.
5.Not known about breed bannur,i have known lot more of osmanabadi goats
6.Other reliable are the boer goats.
7.Ask your local veternary docs.
8.Local Veternary docs knows more about it.As bannur is you local breed.
9.For sheeps its about
2-3kg of green fodder and half kg of dry fodder depending on body size.
10.You can give pulp of any grains,pulses,groudnut flakes.Etc
11.Depending on land available
12.20-30 sheeps in 1 pen
13.Yes pens are necessary for lamb flattening.
14. U can get atleast 1 ton of maize from an acre.
15.Fresh cut grass is necessary to achieve more weight in less time.
16.15-20 acres of land for 500 sheeps in a year.

Last edited:

aabyy

Hello Dr.Shaikh

Thank you for your informative answers. :)

1. A goat worth Rs.1000 could be insured for Rs.150? Is this after the Subsidy?
2. You said 1 ton of Maize from one acre.
-As far I have heard, Its a crop of 90 days = 4 Crops in a year = 4 ton/yr.
-1 Sheep = 3k fodder/day = 1095kg/yr.
-If I go for Maize on 15 acre = 4ton x 15 = 60 tons of Maize/yr.
-I assume that is only enough for 60 sheeps?

Please correct me if I'm worng.

And Dr.Shaikh I have uploaded the pictures of my farm on farmnest.com, If you have time please have a look at them and kindly give me your valuable feedback! The title of the thread there is the same as this one.

Regards,

smy82482

Hi abrar
sorry its 10,000 and not 1000.Typing mistake.If u take insurance privately u have to pay 300rs.
2.I said minimum 1ton per acre.If u r land is suitable for maize and have adequate water supply u can yield more.
Yesterday in lok sabha pawar agriculture minister said,a farmer in nalanda district of bihar has a record break yield of 20.16 tons from a single hectare land.
3.U have not calculated the dry fodder weight.U cant say surely that a sheep can eat 3kg in a day or 1kg in a day.Feeding capacity is dependent on weight size,diseases that sheep has,climatic conditions etc.A sheep with disease eats less as compare to healthy sheep.So these are average calculations from my experience.And sheeps doesnt requires specific fodder like goat,sheeps can eat everything that u supply them.

ferz4444

Hi this is in regards with every body's querries regarding sheep and goat farming. we have 4 years experience in farming of sheep and goat. And I have been instrumental in setting up tens of farms in and around banglore and hyderabad. You can contact me

aabyy

Hello Pradeep,

Yes sure you can visit my farm. Our farm is located in Tumkur and for the direction you can mail me

Regards,

drsarkar

Dear members,

I have come here today to seek some proper guidance regarding the establishment of Sheep/Goat farm. I have an unfinished Sheep Farm near Bangalore, Karnataka. I have personally visited some farms, spoke to few people but was not quite satisfied with what I saw or heard. As I have completed my studies from U.S.A and moved back to India only a few years ago, I lack proper exposure to Sheep/Goat Business. So I kindly request all those experts in this field of business to please help me out to complete my Sheep Project.

If someone could help me out in clearing a few doubts of mine, I would really appreciate that.

-I have completed the construction of Sheds.
-I have constructed 3 Sheds (50ft x 30ft each)
-Silage pits have been dug.

1. What are the legal requirements for this business?
2. Insurance needed? if so, who provides and the cost details.
3. Intensive or Semi Intensive farming? (land limited)
4. Can only Lamb Fattening be a viable business option without breeding?
5. How is the breed Bannur? (Only meat purpose, Bangalore market)
6. Any other reliable good breeds for meat purpose? (Bangalore market)
7. Is Bannur suitable for Intensive Farming?
8. Nutrition requirements of Bannur?
9. How much Feed/Maize/Lucerne requirement per day/per sheep?
10. Apart from Maize and Lucerne what else could be fed to sheeps?
11. How to make pens?
12. How many sheeps in one pen?
13. Are pens really required in Lamb Fattening?
14. How much maize could be harvested from one Acre?
15. Fresh cut grass required or just silage will do?
16. How many acres of maize/lucerne needed for 500 Bannur sheeps?

If someone could take the pains of answering to these above questions, I would be really thankful to them! Patiently waiting.

Regards,
Dear mr. Abrar Ahmad alias aabyy ,

plz contact me by PM for your entire solutions .. We will provide you the project implementation support , comfort shed designs , quality sheeps from Rajasthan deserts and Gujarat area , best superior breeding dual purpose Goats like Sirohi , jamunapari , Barbari , Black Bengal and Black Meat type Karouli with some Chhtarpuri goats under terms & conditions .. We are providing complete A - Z turnkey project consultancy services for all Livestock / Dairy Farm sector as well as Product Process projects ..

zfarsa

Goat Farming

Dear members said:
Dear All,
i also want to start goat farming on small scale. will anyone plz guide me in this.
thankx,