sowing time for opium poppies

Register

frozzbite

Can someone tell me what time of the year is the best time to sow Opium Poppy seeds in Southern NSW,., 200 KLMS south of Sydney.
Garden nurseries only have knowledge about ordinary alpine poppies.
All the best to everyone in 2010

frozzbite

Dear Sir

u can sow opium poppy In the month of May.
Thanks kirti s,.,can you give me a bit more info,.,or a link to check out.
Do you live in Australia and just know about this time frame for sowing or is it from research?
The blooms on papaver somniferum are really stunning,but I've never grown them this far north.

kirti s

Dear Sir

actually the sowing time will vary according to the climatic situation and local conditions.In some places it is in May, in some it is in Sept
i am not aware of the actual temperature in ur place can u give me the details of ur soil type and climate

nkjohri

hmm..

So what would you typically do with opium poppies?....apart from making opium of course and a having an awesome weekend!

aromedindia

Established Member
Sowingb time opium

Opium is a winer season crop. Sowing time shedule is like wheat. In sub-tropical it is Nov.,whereas in temperate, it can be sown in Nov. or Feb.-March. Stunted groth of plants and capsule is observed in Boron defficient soil, as plant being highly succeptible to Boron defficiency. Spraying bBorob cantaing salts lead to quick recovery. Opium is taken out if plants are lenced. Otherwise straw processing other method to get opium alkaloids.
thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com