Pls assist me to start dairy farm

Register

karan_armyman

Sir,
I am a defence personnel, After my retirement I want to start dairy farming with 10 or 15 cows (to start with and gradually to increase the number) numbers.

Please let me know the following information:
1) Whether exotic variety Holstein Friesian cow is available in India? What is the nearby area ( near Chennai) where these cows could be bought?- How much a pure Holstein Friesian may cost each? How much a cross breed Holstein Friesian cow may cost?

2) How much milk a cross-breed Holstein Friesian give? How much milk an exotic variety of Holstein Friesian cow give?

3) I came to know that milking by milking machine gives 20% additional milk. Also milking 3 times a day in 8 hours interval, increases milk yield by 30%. Please let me know whether same is true with cross breed Holstein Frisian cow.

4) Does cooling arrangement (fan with mist spray) during summer help increase milk yield for cross breed Holstein Friesian cow? Whether increase in milk-yield is remunerative compared to the associated cost of cooling arrangement?

5) What should be the minimum herd strength to make economical and remunerative Dairy Farm? How much it would cost me to build a shed (low cost building) suitable for such farm? How much should be the covered area per cow?

6) I came to know that green fodder could substantially reduce the cost of concentrate, thereby reduce the cost of milk production. What sort of green fodder (both leguminous and non-leguminous) can be cultivated round the year in our area? Climatic condition in Chennai is extreme, with temperature in summer goes as high as 46º ~47ºC and Rainfall is less. However we have irrigation facilities through bore-well.

7) How much dry-fodder, green-fodder and concentrate should be given to a milking cow?

8) What sort of concentrate should be fed? What it should contain? In other words how to make home made concentrate to beat the cost?

9) What about mineral mix? How to prepare it?

10) I want to do retail marketing of milk through poly-pack in Kolkata, where demand for cow milk is good. Is it required to be pasteurized before packing?

11) Do I need a chiller to preserve milk from going off? What size do you recommend and how much it would cost?

12) What cow should I purchase, namely Dry pregnant or Milking but pregnant?
13) Which one is good so far milk is yield is concerned- Free stall or Tie-stall?

Looking forward to your help and assistance in this regard,

Thank You

Last edited:

Ashwini

HII

You can start a dairy farm. HF cow is available in INdia. The cost depends on the age of the cow you are planning to buy. PLease visitt the nearest KVK or animal husbandry department for details

Regards
Ashwini

antony_pratap

Dairy Farming Cd

Hello Sir,

We have cds on dairy farming they will be of 2 parts. you can send me a private msg for details.

Thanks,
Antony

purchase of cows

dear Karan,

The nearest available are for purchase near chennai is Coimbatore. There are plenty of brokers in the area who can take advantage of your lack of knowledge on the subject.

For any further assistance please send a private message.

Thanks,
Nitin Sachdeva
Sachdeva Dairy Farm, Rohtak

karan_armyman

Thank You Sir

Dear Murali Krishnan Sir,
Thank you very much for you guidance and giving your valuable time in posting reply. I am collecting all valuable informations about dairy farming. If you have more information about dairy farming please send it to me. Once again thank you very much.

Karunakar

Dear Karan,

I must say that that information provided by Mr. Murali is very much true.

Mr. Karan I am Manish form Delhi NCR. Currently I am working with Embassy office of one of the developed country of Asia.

My father has his own business and he usually he asked me to join his business. But I want to start my own business and as per my research I find that dairy farming has a lots of potential and i already have a lots of expouser in dairy business procurement of Cattels(From Villeges ,urban markets),milking cows (Myself) ,sale of Milk ,procurement of Raw Feed and sales of dry cows.

But i would like you to suggest two things which i feel might be useful for you.

1. Cows are more sensitive than Buffalos.your love and care for them will definately increase the overall productivity and will keep them in good health.

It is important to know about their body language. You can judge about their health through their body language.

2.You should also have the sufficient storage capacity for raw feed.Because what I have noticed that market rate for Strwa is very easily available at very cheap price during April to May period.

Regards
Manish
M:IFEDDIFoEI

We are very glade to inform you that our company “Greentech Organic Hydroponics Systems” manufacture a unit for the Maize/ Wheat grass fodder production in which you can produce Maize/ Wheat seedling by hydroponics techniques (Soil less culture) so it will ultimately produce microbes free, 100% organic healthy lush green seedlings of Maize/ Wheat grass fodder with less cost and in small area of 8ft x 4ft x 10ft with fully automated system, which can help you to boost up the production of Maize/ Wheat grass fodder in any climate condition with less input cost.

kishanb

Dear krishnan sir,

your message is very much informative to the beginners.

Dear Murali Krishnan Sir,
Thank you very much for you guidance and giving your valuable time in posting reply. I am collecting all valuable informations about dairy farming. If you have more information about dairy farming please send it to me. Once again thank you very much.

Karunakar

To ALL enthusiastic dairy farmers

please attend dairy training program by KVK baramati or NDDB karnal both r worth and give u first hand knowledge

Last edited:

nandoormohan

Dear Muarali,
Amazing info. Very interesting. I respect your love to the work. Do all these info hold good now too in 2015. Because I would like to start a diary farm in a place of 1200sqft area.
Please guide me.

Thanks
Mohan srinivasan