Pig farming in India: Research questions

Register

mannyindy

Hello,
I am an MBA student at Indiana University, Indiana. My team is conducting some research about Pork production and Pig farms in emerging markets including India. Specifically, we are looking for information related to industry structure, competition, breeders, suppliers etc. Here are a few questions we are trying to answer for each country. If you are aware of any online sources where I can get this data for India, please let me know. I found that data related to pork industry in India is hard to come by. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

If you can answer these questions and add some detail from your experience, that will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and attention.

1. Are their sizable commercial pig farms in India? If so, approximately how many?
2. What is the average sows per farm?
3. Where do the farmers get their sow/boars from? Who are the main suppliers of sow, boars to farmers?
4. Are there commercial pork production firms?
5. Is the industry vertically integrated? Does the firms own a feedstock company, a pig farm, the meat packer, a processor or grocery chain?
6. What is the demand for pork and the current supply situation?
7. What are some of the biggest challenges to pig farmers face?
8. Are there any pig genetic companies in India (either Indian or foreign)?
9. What are the main sources of feed? Any commercial suppliers?

If there is any more information you can add, that would be great.

Ashwini

Hi

There are a lot of pig farms in India, will provide you the contact details , please write to them to get the accurate information.
1. Office – C98/27 Sector 41
Phone Office – 0120 4212110, 4202278, 9811177864
thapar@indiapork.com

Feed is prepared locally at the farm. A mix of various grains and corn is fed to our pigs three times daily. Minerals and vitamins are added to the feed according to the requirements of individual pigs. Our goal is to have an increase of .5 kgs a day from birth to live selling weight. In order to accomplish this, the diet of our pigs is monitored stringently with preparation hygiene and handling of feed given special attention.

Yorkshires are white in color and have erect ears. They are the most recorded breed of swine in the India. They are found in almost every state, with the highest populations being in Utter Pradesh, Punjab and Harayana. The modern Yorkshire is very muscular, with a high proportion of lean meat and low backfat, in addition to being very sound and durable.

Yorkshire breeders submitted over 440,000 growth and backfat records and over 320,000 sow productivity records. This represents the largest source of documented performance records in the world.

Regards
Ashwini

manas reddy

The modern Yorkshire

Dear Ashwini,

thanks for the details you have provided, i have also been searching for information of pig farming in India.

can you please let me know of any pig farms near bangalore were i can buy The modern Yorkshire breed of Gilts/Sows, Boars and weaners

"The modern Yorkshire is very muscular, with a high proportion of lean meat and low backfat, in addition to being very sound and durable"

Also are there any pig feed suppliers near Bangalore ?

Manas Reddy

mads

Swine represents 7% of country's animal protein and is having 6% of volume share in meat industry in India.
The swine industry in India also had business potential, given a swine-consuming population of about 40 million
source:IAI Expo 2011 : Poultry

and about the feeds and breeds, it is better surf any Agricultural University website and try to mail concerned staff about it, they may be able to help you, and
NABARD's Model Bankable Projects may help you
PIG FARMING — India Development Gateway this will provide some info on breeds.

all the very best for your research,

I'll be happy if your research published

jaipalsingh

help

i want to start pig farm at uttrakhand, i have not previous experience of pig farming. i have aprox 6 acre of land there. is there any pig farm around from where i can get good breed pigs. initially how many pig and sows i should start with and from where i can get the feed at good price. after my online research i found pig get the selling weight ( aprox 100 kgs ) in about 7 months so is it a profitable business ( handling+feeding price * 7 months - selling price = ?? ) .
here in another post someone said hotel leftover is must but uttrakhand is a hilly area and we have not many hotels around so where can i get good quality cheap feed for them. do we need any govt. approval for pig farm. we have good cold there does pig raising is diff. in cold areas.

Last edited: