Article Navdeep Golecha - Pomegranate cultivation

Register

ForumMarket

Staff member
Some people make the right decisions and some take decisions and make it right.
Mr. Navdeep Golecha, topped his university level examinations in the UK, secured a job at Royal Bank of Scotland and a few weeks later decided to get back to India. To make his decision right, one would think he would slip into his family’s real estate business. But, his research landed him in a space alien to him and his family.
“I was just checking how our business functions etc. In due course, I found this 150 acre idle piece of land in our portfolio. I came back with the intention of doing something on my own. So, I thought I would develop this piece of land into a resort because it was strategically at a very good location for tourism.
Initially, I divided the land with the idea of developing 50 acres of it into self-maintained resorts wherein you can buy a 1 acre of land. I reserved the rest of the 100-acres for farming. Hence, whatever revenue coming in from the farming activities could be utilized for the resorts.
My family being in the real estate business, construction wasn't an issue for us. But developing farms was an issue because we hardly had any idea about farming. So, I decided to tackle the farming part first. When I ventured into agriculture to develop the 100 acre land, I realised how unorganized this sector is in India. No one knows anything much and there are many who are bent on cheating you at every step you take. I had people selling me the same variety plants for Rs 30 and Rs 300 as well. My research showed about 70% of India's population is directly or indirectly connected to agriculture. The Indian Government pumps in thousands of crores every year into this sector but even then the image of farmers of the country is always poor. That is when I sensed there is a huge gap somewhere and I decided to explore opportunities. That is how I plunged into agriculture. It has only been a four and a half year stint so far.”
Did you undergo any kind of training initially?
After doing some survey, we decided on planting pomegranates. Discussions with some scientists and researchers enlightened me that a thorough 1-2 years of research is a must before I take the plunge.
The problem with horticulture plants is that the harvest takes 2 years for pomegranate. So, it looked like I had to research for two years and then after that again wait another couple of years, before I start seeing results.
So, I decided to hire the best consultants available in the country and under their guidance I created my plantation. The two years prior to my harvest, I made sure I got trained under this consultant. That is how I saved my time and I got trained as well.
What challenges did you face in the initial stages?
I had a lot many challenges. The biggest problem I had at that point in time was my degree. I did MSc in Financial Economics, topped my University and secured a scholarship as well. Hence, my move to agriculture attracted a lot of criticism. People couldn't understand why I had to leave all that and plunge into farming. So, at one point in time criticism shadowed me everywhere. Gradually, with the results beginning to surface, I started attracting appreciation.
Last year, I secured the Mahindra Samridhi Award for my pomegranate plantation.
Screenshot_20200701-140015_WhatsApp.jpg

How big is your farm?
The total land area is 150 acres; I grow pomegranate, papaya, lemon, drumsticks and custard apple in 40 acres currently with 12 people employed on this 40-acre farm. I wanted to make sure that if I ventured into agriculture, I wanted to do it differently. Whatever possible technology we have available for agriculture, I have tried using them; it is a modern farm.
Is residue-free farming the same as organic farming?
No, there is a big difference. People are often confused about it. Residue-free means that even if I do use any kind of chemical sprays over my fruits or chemical fertilizers in my trees, there will be no chemical effect on the fruit. No matter what I use, when I harvest the fruit, there will be no chemicals on the fruit. That is why it is called residue free.
In organic farming, no chemicals are used. My custard apple, lemon , drumsticks and papaya are 100% organic. But, my pomegranate plantation does employ some chemicals; but they do not have any harmful effect on the fruit.
Does residue-free farming attract higher prices for your produce in the market?
Oh yes, it does - 100%. You get at least 30-50% extra revenue. Residue-free farming is a very popular concept. If you want to export your fruit to the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. you have to secure the residue-free certification.
How would you advice someone wanting to venture into something similar and is new to the field?
Agriculture is a space wherein if you want to be successful, you will need to step out of your comfort zone. So, you can't expect to achieve results at the click of a button or manage things sitting indoors. You must be ready to work under the scorching heat of perhaps 50 degrees or 5 degrees of cold weather. There will be lots of physical challenges and many a times you may get disappointed because of unexpected weather/market conditions. But, the drive that will pull against all odds is the passion that you nurture.
There may be 1000 pit stops where you will feel may be it is worth quitting. So, if you lack the passion, you are bound to quit. So, venture into it only if you are 100% sure.
I would also advice people venturing newly, to work at an existing farm for a few weeks to understand if you like the process or not before investing anything into agriculture.
I do believe that agriculture has the maximum scope in India till date. It is the best business opportunity available provided it is done in the right manner.
When I approached a consultant in the beginning, the first question asked was if I would be able to manage a paradigm shift in my lifestyle as a result of agriculture.
Agriculture is a very different space. If you are associated with the corporate or business world, this world is totally in contrast. So, gaining clarity before you take the plunge is highly recommended.
Sometimes things look very fascinating when we are at a distance from it; but that thought perhaps may wear off when you get hands-on. Nothing in this world is easy but farming is tougher.

20200701_140130.jpg

For about 1 acre of land, what would be the minimum investment?
That depends on the crop that gets chosen. For example, when I started, this plot which I have cultivated now was a thick jungle of babool, also known as acacia. It was a place where you couldn't even take a walk in. There was no shelter or fencing and so I had to start from scratch - clearing and leveling the land, fencing, electric connections, labour quarters, storage rooms, warehouses, tube wells, motors, mulching paper, drip irrigation facilities, farm pond etc. Then, comes the plant, taking care of it, tractors and such equipment. Everything put together it costed me around Rs. 650-Rs.700 per plant.
I always do my revenue and costing per plant basis so that I have an exact account of how the inflow and outflow fares.
What about your farm profit?
Profit is something you can think about after 2 years. The cost I mentioned about was the set up cost. After setting it up, you will also need to maintain it for the number of years before which you will see a harvest. For the years before my harvest, the cost came up to about Rs 250-Rs300 per plant. After 2 years, when you get your first harvest, it will be between 8-10 kg. The prices for these fruits are very random.
Talking about the recent past, people were selling pomegranates at the rate of Rs 30-35 per kg. In about 2 weeks after that the prices shot up to Rs 60/- per kg.
So, profits depend on market prices and the quality of your produce. Nevertheless, I always vouch for farmers creating their own market. If you have good quality fruits, profits will pave their way to you.
Are there any Government support that people can avail of?
Yes, I have taken a 40% subsidy from the National Horticulture Board for my pomegranate. For all the other crops, I am availing State Government subsidies. We always keep improving. In December, we have this person who comes from Israel and stays with us for 3 months. He helps us in improving our field and farm practices. If not we will only be left with limited knowledge.
At any point in time, did you regret taking the decision to come back to India for good?
Not at all. To be honest, my family and I believes that we should do what you love. If you don't like it just leave it. I am not here for any hidden commercial motive, I am here because of passion. I see this as contributing to the social and economic welfare of farmers as well. That is what I am focusing on.
Do other planters seek your help?
I get a lot of calls. My phone starts ringing from 7:00 a.m. I don't say no to anyone. I am 100% for helping if anyone needs a hand and I do it free of cost. I have learned all that I know from the farming community and it is my duty to pay back. So, my farm is open to anyone and I am open to answering any kind of questions that one may have.
Ours is the first farm in Rajasthan that is approved by APEDA.

What core gardening advice would you like to give our readers?
Follow Advisroy. Avoid Chemicals and if you have to use them, use them wisely. Don’t over do it. Visit Farms as much as you can, because only farmers have years of practical knowledge.
Another thing that I use is neem-oil emulsion. It is highly common with agriculturists. You need to use a few drops of this emulsion with soap. Instead of using the detergent, I use the soap nut solution. I add the soap nut solution to emulsify the oil and 1 litre of water to this and shake well before spraying it on your plants. That is again very effective in controlling the pests.
To what extent would you be able to help farmers?

I would say, like a consultancy - I can clear whatever doubt they may have; I can connect them to the right people if they want to buy quality plants, seeds, fertilizers etc.
How did you manage to run this farm without any agricultural background?
For the first two years I was only focused on learning from the consultant that I had entrusted my farm with. To be honest, whatever we learn in college or school is hardly used in practical life. But, studying trains you to grasp new concepts quicker and in depth. Albeit I did my M.Sc in Financial Economics, I was able to grasp agricultural concepts and understand things real quick. With that, if you have the passion for the work driving you then nothing can stop you. This is true for any job.
How do you market your produce?
I have a different path for every fruit. I have a yearly contract for papaya. That way the market prices of papaya doesn't matter to me for they are fixed at Rs. 10/kg. As per economics per acreage it is the most profitable crop.
For pomegranate you have multiple options. I sell it to Big Bazaar, Reliance Fresh and to exporters as well. I haven't ventured into direct exports yet. So, people come to my farm and buy produce from there itself. I do not wish to get into retail sales because my everyday harvest is too much. When I begin harvesting my pomegranate it amounts to 12-15 tones a day, which is too much for detail to manage.
How can people reach out to you to get trained under you?
That is my future plan. Currently, I can be contacted over the phone. I am on social media as well - my farming page is Natura Farms India. So, I can be, at present, contacted over email, phone or chat. I am open to people setting up time with me and come over to my farm, in Rajasthan, as well.

20200701_140117.jpg

With all the dynamics changing so quickly, like drones to spray fertilizers etc. how do we keep up?
Yes, technology has gotten things to be very dynamic. Having said that, everything seems very jazzy on the outside. But it is highly different when you are on the ground and doing things hands on. Drones are good for agriculture crops but they are not advisable for horticulture crops because drones can only spray from above; they do not have the facility of going into the tree or spraying sideways. For horticulture, we use power sprayers. Likewise for every crop there is a different best practice to follow. So, in all the dynamics, one should be able to cope up.
Do you have plans to extend beyond the crops that you cultivate now?
In the long term we plan on developing an agriculture tourism center. At that time, I will be introducing a lot of activities. But, I do not plan to start a dairy farm with, for instance, 5-10 cows. I have to start with about 50-100 cows. Thanks to the acreage, I can have everything in house - the doctor, cold storage etc.
Also, I am not very stringent about my plans. If I have a better plan in the next two years, I may tweak it. One must be sensitive to the dynamic world and should be agile to adapt smartly. Rigidity cannot be a must.
Is your farming activity financially viable?
Oh yes, absolutely! I am not for sticking on to something that would reap only losses. Again, that is another reason for not being rigid; if you try a crop and you see that it ends in losses for you - move on. But, it is highly important to understand when to quit. Quitting after seeing one year of losses may be a foolish thing to do because talking in industrial language, we should ideally wait for a 1000 days. This is the same for agriculture. One month or one or two years is too soon to tell. It takes more time than that.
Any last piece of advice for our readers?
Travel! Travel to different farms, meet different people and learn new ideas; understand how differently people do things, read blogs etc. It is highly important not to be a frog in a well. We should keep abreast of what is happening in the industry we work in. Collaboration is highly important. The person who comes from Israel and stays with us once a year, teaches us techniques which we would never even think of otherwise. These things makes our lives and work so much more easier. So, keep exploration of the industry as a mandate. The world is moving very fast.

CONTACT
Navdeep Golecha
Navdeep@adeshwar.org
Natura Farms
NH14, opposite Reliance Petrol Pump,
Palri M, Rajasthan 307043