Article Dr. Navanath Kaspate - NMK Agro Farm Pvt. Ltd.- Custard apple farming

Register

ForumMarket

Staff member
Owing to low family income, education after Std 11 may have remained a dream for Dr Navanath Kaspate; but, that did not stop him from scaling great heights. Today, he has done some path breaking work in agriculture by developing new varieties of custard apples like the NMK-1 Golden.

Developing a new variety is generally undertaken either by universities or institutions like the Indian Institute of Horticultural Research. But in case of Dr N M Kaspate, it was his experience and the passion of a grower and the perseverance of a plant breeder that fetched him the Doctorate Degree.

Along the journey, education alone wasn’t the sole point of hurdle. “Initially we had shortage of water at our farm. Then, we dug out a bore well to sort the water issue. We started with three crops. I did grape farming till about 2011. We used to export grapes as well.”

In the Solapur district, Dr Navanath was the first to acquire the patent certification. He was greatly appreciated and recognized for his farming and export activities.

“We were farming custard apples quite well. In 2011, I got a new variety of custard apple. We gave it 10 years to see how it would do. It went well and we launched a new variety called NMK1 Golden after 10 years.”

Tell us more about this new variety of custard apple.

We have performed cross-pollination about 2 years back and we came up with a new variety. For this we had to analyse each custard apple variety because each variety has it’s own unique properties.

The specialty about the variety we developed is that:

It starts reaping yield after the local variety fruit gets over in the market.

It has lesser seeds and looks more attractive than the local variety

This variety doesn't crack open like the local variety. It can stay on the plant for up to 15 days and we can harvest it anytime within these 15 days. The local variety doesn't give you that much of time, it should be harvested within 2-3 days.

Owing to this quality, the new variety can outlive transportation hassles and can be sold across the country.

We had applied for a patent for this produce in 2014 and though it took a great deal of time, we have now finally received a patent for this product. Unfortunately, we now realize that getting product patents is not of much value in our country. These things are not valued like it is in many countries around the globe.
IMG_2842.jpg

How many varieties of custard apple do you cultivate?

We have 42 varieties. I have planted a new batch of 2500 plants.

Till date, the varieties I have come with can benefit farmers immensely. It has helped farmers to make profits in lakhs. There have been cases where people have made profits in crores.

What is it that pushes up their profit margins?

This variety’s characteristics itself! The local variety can fetch you about 5-6 tons of fruit during harvest, which gives you an approximate income of 1 Lakh. This new variety gives you an output of approximately 12 tons which can fetch you an income of about 12 Lakh because of its higher market value.

You can sell this variety at the rate of Rs 200 per kg approximately. Last year the rate went up to Rs 300 per kg. The local variety is Rs 50 per kg approximately.

Is there any particular technique that is used to grow this crop?

There is not much fertilizers used. I use the grafting technique. Just like how the off springs of a couple are not all the same, the plants grown from the seeds of a fruit are not the same. I have demonstrated this to the farmers by taking 10 seeds from a single fruit and shown them that all the 10 plants turned out to the different. Hence I strongly recommend grafting over the conventional method of using seeds for growing saplings.

The variety we go for is much better than the local variety. We have such a huge demand for this produce that we have 7 managers working on our farm whom we have trained. There was a Ph.D student who once came and researched on this variety of custard apple.

What is your role/achievements in the All Indian Custard Apple Federation?

I have been a part of the institution from its inception. This association doesn’t have many members -just about 12 members. We have representatives from Rajasthan, Maharashtra, MP and Chhattisgarh. It is difficult to meet owing to the distance at which each of the members are. Farmers don't want to spend too much on this.
IMG_2845.jpg

What benefits have you reaped through this association?

Any demand is easier to be put forward through a federation. Earlier we were part of another federation which had more than 300 members. It is now much easier for us because of this new Federation .
IMG_2846.jpg

Which are the main locations where custard apple is grown?

Any area where you get a hot and dry climate. It can’t be grown in places where it snows.

What is the total production of custard apple in India?

There has been a spike in production over the last two years. Maharashtra is the leading producer of custard apple in our country.

I am not sure about the total production across the country. In the earlier days, this crop was not grown in the fields. There used to be wild varieties which grew by itself. Now, owing to the market demand people have started growing it on their farms.

What about its export market?

Yes, the fruit gets exported to the Gulf market. I export the fruit too; but, through a third party, located in Mumbai. I don't do it by myself.

I get a slightly higher rate if I give it to the middle men. I am not aware what profits they make.

How much produce do you export in a year/month?

It is a seasonal crop and it is there to sell for two months in a year. So I do how much I can - it depends on the demand.

Apart from India, in which other countries is this crop cultivated?

It grows well in Australia. I had been there with about 20 people and was there for about 12 days. It also grows well in China. But, ours is the best variety so far.

What challenges have you crossed in this journey so far?

We give ample training to farmers using PPT and photographs. Only 2 or 3 types of pests like mealy bug and fruit fly affects this crop. We can control these pests also quite effectively. We were not able to control fruit flies for three years. Then we consulted Vidyapeet and there we realized what its lifecycle is and how to control it. Now, we ace at it.

Any good-to-knows with respect to the cultivation of this product?

The best part about this crop is that you don't need much water to grow it. In the initial 2 years you need to feed it with water for all 12 months. This gradually stops because you don't need to supply the crop with water from Jan to June - not even a drop.

You then need to water it only from June to Jan because by then the crop will start flowering. It needs no disturbance for a whole 6 months. In Maharashtra we don't have much rains so we always suggest farmers to grow custard apple because they can make high profits with not much input.

Custard apple is a crop that can fetch you great benefits. This comes from my experience. Whoever has come to us and started cultivating this crop is doing really well.

Are you open to give training to any farmer who approaches you?

Yes, absolutely!

CONTACT

Dr. Navanath Kaspate
Company Madhuban Farm and Nursery.
NMK Agro Farm Pvt. Ltd.
Street A/P: Gormale
City Barshi
Zip Code 413404
State Maharashtra
Phone-7350500000
E-Mail nmkaspate@gmail.com
Report Edit IP