TYPES OF AVAILABLE TEAK WOOD AND
PRICE RANGE IN INDIAN TIMBER MARKET
Forest Utilisation Division, Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi-680 653, Thrissur, Kerala, India, Email: email@example.com
Nilambur (Malabar) teak
• Grows fast, yields larger log dimensions
• Straight grain with golden yellowish brown colour, often with darker steaks
• Reputed in the trade for ship building and furniture/cabinets
West African teak
• Wood with black streaks and wavy or twisted grain
• Wood figure is mostly inferior to that of Asian teak
South and Central American teak
• Wood lighter in colour
• Fetches lower price due to small dimen-
sional log and less heartwood
Did you know ?
A variety of teak timbers is noted in Indian market depending on the source of supply as originated from various geographic locations or countries. The recent timber survey re- corded the following types timbers mainly due to variations in log size wood colour/grain and growth rate/rotation age. The price trends of teak timber showed continued increase in India over the decades of later half of 20th century and the forecasts for the year 2015 indicate a range of Indian Rupees of 71,000- 90,000 (US $ 1480-1850) per Cu.m depend- ing on the girth class (Krishnankutty 2001).
The present market price range for round wood (Cu.m) in Indian Rupees and US $ is shown below:
Home garden teak: 26842-38841 (US$ 597- 863)
Myanmar (Burma teak): 44138-51200 (US$ 980-1138)
Columbian teak: 21186-24717 (US$ 470-549) Ghana teak: 21186-28248 (US$ 470-628) Brazilian teak:
Togo teak- Log:
Costa Rican teak (class II/III pole size logs) Equador teak (class II/III pole sized logs) Teak, Ivory Coast:
• Grows in Rajulmaddugu locality of An-
• Rose coloured heartwood, attractive surface,fetches high price
Central province teak (CPT)
• Slow grown wood with close grain from drier areas of central India
• Deeper colour, twisted or wavy grain give betterappearance and fetches higher price
Dandeli (North Kanara) teak
• Slow grown, close grained
• Darker in
Home garden/farm grown teak
• Home garden teak has more defects like bends andknots lowering timber value.
• Wood from dry sites has darker golden
brown colour with black streaks, making it more attractive in appearance.
• Wood from wet sites has paler colour affecting adversely the price of the tim- ber.
• Wood from homesteads of wet sites is • more susceptible to brown rot fungi al- though no significant differences exists with respect to white rot fungi among the home garden and plantation grown tim- bers.
In South America, FOB price range is USD130-USD230 as against USD200- USD300 in West Africa and US 140-240 in Asia (India) depending on quality (colour, grain, etc), diameter and length.
• Higher natural durability of teak wood from drier locality h is reflected in higher extractive contents with darker colour t
• Slow grown wood with close grain and darker colour
• Stronger than Nilambur teak
Myanmar (Burma) teak
• Slow grown wood from mostly from natu- ral growth
• Close grain with darker colour
• Fetches high price in international trade
• With an investment of US $10,000 per hectare, teak plantation can give an aver- age return of about US Dollars 320,000 in 25 years from the sale of roundwood at stump/plantation site – This means 32 times returns in 25 years, equivalent to doubling investment in every 5 years ( Centeno 1996).
• The central part of India (with Site Quality II), the best Internal Rate of Returns (IRRs) can be expected from 25-year rotations although for higher Net Present Value(NPV) the rotations need to be longer (Rawat and Negi 1980).
Even with very low input management, teak plantations are profitable if planted in suitable sites (Chundamannil 1998).
We are one and only tissue culture teak bag plant producers in India and abroad
We are one and only high yielding tissue culture teak producers in India & abroad
M. BALAKRISHNA,M. Sc, (Ph.D.),
Seven Hills Invitro Labs Pvt. Ltd.,
(Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory)
# 125, A.P. Sub Registrars Colony, Timminaidupalem,
Akkarampalli (P) Tirupati 517507
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
Mobile: +91 9908286565
Website : Seven Hills Invitro Labs Pvt. Ltd. Tirupati - - born for food and wood - -