AgricultureInformation.com


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How Profitable is Moringa (Drumsticks) Cultivation .

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20

    Thumbs up How Profitable is Moringa (Drumsticks) Cultivation .

    Hello,

    I am planning Moringa(Drumsticks) on my farm. We have red loamy soil on a dry land belt. 4inch water is available from 2 borewells. We will opt for drip irrigation.

    From the information i have, one can get 20tonnes yield per acre in one year. Current mandi rate for drumsticks is 35 rs/kg (say 30rs)
    So, one can expect gross receipts of 30rsX20000kg=6lacs per acre per annum.

    The cost involved is Land development + seeds/samplings.

    Is this information correct??
    Am i missing something??

    Expecting advice from people already into moringa cultivation.

    thanks in advance,
    Rehman.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hello Rehman,

    According to me, your planing is too good.. along with that, request you to add insecticide, pesticide, cow dung, labor cost and also transportation costs if applicable. Then, "You can do cross cultivation also" I mean .. under the steam of Drumstick tree.. seed Bottle-guard, Snake Guard and even you can grow hen in the same form.. which will add your benefit. you can grow grapes also....

    Warm regards,
    Ponnarasan P H

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rehmank View Post
    Hello,

    I am planning Moringa(Drumsticks) on my farm. We have red loamy soil on a dry land belt. 4inch water is available from 2 borewells. We will opt for drip irrigation.

    From the information i have, one can get 20tonnes yield per acre in one year. Current mandi rate for drumsticks is 35 rs/kg (say 30rs)
    So, one can expect gross receipts of 30rsX20000kg=6lacs per acre per annum.

    The cost involved is Land development + seeds/samplings.

    Is this information correct??
    Am i missing something??

    Expecting advice from people already into moringa cultivation.

    thanks in advance,
    Rehman.
    your calculation for moringa is need some explanation

    How many tree you taking into 1 Acre and what space are you keeping between two tree.

    what are basis of your calculation lets have discuss first.



    20000 tones is very high expectation

    let's provide detail for further discussion

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    @ponnarasan_h ponnarasan_
    Thank you for your inputs, will find out if the plants you mentioned are compatible on our soil.

    @nvasaikar
    The spacing between moringa plants is advised at 7-10 feet depending on the purpose of cultivation ie for leaves / fruits / bark etc etc
    I have considered 10feet, so it comes to 400 plants per acre.

    The yield i have been told is 20 tonnes (NOT 20000 tonnes!!) from 2 crops of six months each.

    This is what i need to verify, how much fruits/pods will the moringa tree bear in one crop??

    Also can someone give a rough idea about:-
    Labor cost : for sowing and plucking (of pods) for one acre for one crop?
    Pesticide/insecticide cost : some rough idea would be helpful.

    Thanks again!
    Rehman.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    586

    Lightbulb

    Dear Rehaman,
    Please note that application of mathematics in agriculture may not give correct figures.

    With 4inch water is available from 2 bore why you planning only Moringa(Drumsticks) on farm? Go with multi crops for sustainable agriculture.

    With best efforts you can get more than 20tonnes yield.

    You can reduce the cost involved is Land development + seeds/saplings etc if you can?
    Regards,
    SWAMY

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Dear Swamy,

    Can you please advise what is best options to go for multi cropping in red soil along with Moranga?
    We intend taking up farming in 5 acres with good water supply and drip.

    Thanks.
    Arjun


    Quote Originally Posted by swamy8123019678 View Post
    Dear Rehaman,
    Please note that application of mathematics in agriculture may not give correct figures.

    With 4inch water is available from 2 bore why you planning only Moringa(Drumsticks) on farm? Go with multi crops for sustainable agriculture.

    With best efforts you can get more than 20tonnes yield.

    You can reduce the cost involved is Land development + seeds/saplings etc if you can?
    Regards,
    SWAMY

  7. #7
    vriksha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Lightbulb be realistic about your profits from one acre

    Although the suggestion for inter cultivation between moringa trees is good, Mr. Rehman is spacing his trees too closely for inter cultivation. The canopy of the trees will cast a shade upon the ground and this will not permit most vegetables or medicinal plants to grown in this shade.

    Secondly, some sort of mechanical harvester for the pods will have to be purchased and adopted to cut down on harvesting time. The Local KVK should be able to suggest something in this regard.

    Thirdly, transportation costs to the mandi will have to be factored in.

    Fourthly the cost of manures and their application will also have to be taken into consideration.

    Main point is----be happy and satisfied if after deducting all costs you are left with a profit of rupees one lakh per acre. Paddy, wheat and dals fetch only Rs. 10-15,000 per acre on ordinary farms with minimum effort. So if you can earn one lakh per acre you should consider yourself to be a RICH and SUCCESSFUL farmer. Good Luck!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    @swamy8123019678
    Intercultivation is well-advised and more profitable, i agree. But with lack of labor in our area and also my inability to devote my full time, i am looking only at crops which are less labor intensive and less time consuming (my time). Hence the choice of moringa. Also as i said our land is in a dryland belt, we need to choose less water consuming crops.

    @vriksha
    Thank you for your inputs. Will keep that in mind.

    Still waiting for a confirmation about the moringa yield!!
    Anyone here actually cultivating it??

    Regards,
    Rehman

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    586

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by arjun11 View Post
    Dear Swamy,

    Can you please advise what is best options to go for multi cropping in red soil along with Moranga?
    We intend taking up farming in 5 acres with good water supply and drip.

    Thanks.
    Arjun
    Arjun ,
    You can choose what ever you want as per demand in you location. You can also introduce un known fruits crops in your location to get more profit from selling first by you.
    All the best,
    SWAMY

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Moringa is an amazing super food and the vest thing about this tree is that every part of the plant is useable in one way or another renowned for its health and cosmetic benefits.
    Last edited by moderator A; July 10th, 2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: only premium members are allowed to post contact info. please click My Account to upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •