Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Starting Dairy Farming in Gujarat.

Register

Click Here!

mitesh

Hello,

I plan to start a dairy farm on my 3acre agricultural land in Rajkot district. I would like to know some details.

1.which animal is better economically, Cows or Buffalows.
2. How much would a good breed Cow and Buffalow cost in gujarat.
3. Where can i market my fluid milk for best return. Will be feasible to sell to the govt or will it be better else where.
4. Where can i buy milking machines and Animals from, closest to Rajkot.
5. If i wish to have 20animals how many acres of land will be sufficient for animals and fodder.
6. I wish to utilise the remaining land not used for dairy farm and hence would like a suggestion what would be profitable to grow( Alovera plant or silk worm farming or mushroom farming etc.)

Kindly help me out with these queries.

Regards,
Mitesh.

Last edited:

ezeevivek

1.which animal is better economically, Cows or Buffalows.

- Your target should be to achive profit where buffalos are in plus situation because their milk sells at much higher cost

2. How much would a good breed Cow and Buffalow cost in gujarat.

- Normal price for a 3rd year HF/Jersey or Murrah is around 45,000 per

3. Where can i market my fluid milk for best return. Will be feasible to sell to the govt or will it be better else where.

- Coops take at 22 to 24 per ltr where as other like hotel, sweet shops at 30 Rs (7.5% FAT, 9% SNF - Buffalo milk), Cow milk goes at 14 to 18 Rs per ltr

4. Where can i buy milking machines and Animals from, closest to Rajkot.

- search internet or contact NDDB at Anand

5. If i wish to have 20animals how many acres of land will be sufficient for animals and fodder.

- 0.25 acre per animal for green fodder

6. I wish to utilise the remaining land not used for dairy farm and hence would like a suggestion what would be profitable to grow( Alovera plant or silk worm farming or mushroom farming etc.)

- Grow green fodder for cattle, will save you a lot in purchase cost

Ashwini

Hi

YOu can integrate both cows and buffaloes. Initially i suggest please visit a nearby local dairy farm to get complete practical information. Good breeds like HF and jersey will cost you between 35000 to 40000Rs. Set up a dairy farm then some small quantity you can grow fodder and if land left out you can take up aloe vera if you have a buy back facility or mushrrom is also a good option.

Regards
Ashwini