Notices

Thread: Fertilizer required for a coconut tree

1. #1 Fertilizer required for a coconut tree 

Dear all,
    i am a new member and i have recently purchased a coconut farm. 5 acres of farm with a interval of 15 feet between the trees.The trees are 10 years old and poorly maintained. The trees stand tall but no coconuts also the fowers dry as soon as they blossom. The previous owner does not know when he last fertilised the trees.
    please advice what fertilizer i have to put and what is the quantity. Also advice if any other has to be done to the trees. Trees are irrigated by drip irrigation.

THANKS & REGARDS
    S.N.KARTHIKEYAN

Dear Sir,

We were in same position few years back and tried a lot to get back in track (atleast 60 percent of what we expected).

You should take a decision based on the soil fertility. If the core soil itself is bad then you should start thinking about natural farming like zero budget as a long term fix.
    Note, this will not yield you immediate results but is the best for the long term.

You can give chicken manure / cow dung manure which will help in yield.

Try drip irrigation so trees get irrigated regularly and they get used to a watering pattern.

Do a soil and water testing and take a call based on what is required to the soil.

Plant intercrops which will yield lot of humus so it improves the fertility. You can try the option of planting trees which shed lot of leafs.

Finally, which I don't know and will not recommend is to use of fertilizers. You can take input from people who were successful doing the same.

Thanks,
    Shafi

Dear Sir,

we used to give NPK 500G: 320G : 1200G every year and 50 KG of FYM. Normally split twice , once in the month of June-July and once in the month of Dec- Jan. If you have drip you can also consider Fertigation. Please do soil and water test , based on the result they should be able to recommend the application of fertilizers. Button drop can be attributed to multiple reasons. People use NAA spray to prevent button drop. please visit a near by KVK or agriculture university for more professional advice.
    Last edited by parthiuv; June 4th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

4. #4 Thanks A Lot 

Dear Parthiuv and Dear Shaffibu,
    My whole hearted thanks to you guys reg th subject, The information you have provided are valid. To start with let me first test the soil and the water.
    Thanks & Regards
    karthik

Quote Originally Posted by sn_ka_1965 View Post
    Dear all,
    i am a new member and i have recently purchased a coconut farm. 5 acres of farm with a interval of 15 feet between the trees.The trees are 10 years old and poorly maintained. The trees stand tall but no coconuts also the fowers dry as soon as they blossom. The previous owner does not know when he last fertilised the trees.
    please advice what fertilizer i have to put and what is the quantity. Also advice if any other has to be done to the trees. Trees are irrigated by drip irrigation.

THANKS & REGARDS
    S.N.KARTHIKEYAN

Dear Mr. S.N.KARTHIKEYAN,
    For coconut tree use neem oil cake powder,( mix in soil ).
    Gyarsilal Bagaria
    Akhadhya Tel Sabun Utpadak Sahakari Samiti Ltd.Churu

6. #6 fertilizer for cocopalm 

u dear
    feed west side basin with 1kg of super phosphate (dap)
    1 kg pottash (mop)/ 1/2 kg of urea.
    after 3-4 moths apply vermi compost to its left side of basin
    hope satisfied

Dear all,

THANKS & REGARDS
    S.N.KARTHIKEYAN

7. #7 Coconut tree Maintenance 

We, Aum Agrotech Ltd, leading agro input manufacturer, offer complete solution for coconut tree management and other orchard crops. Please mail us more info on the soil type and pH, age of the trees, present problem, trees when last supplied with fertilizers, water availability and pH etc.

We shall help you recover the plantation back in good shape and yielding condition.

Please feel free to reach us for further details.

Thanking you.
    Nachiappan
    Last edited by moderator B; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Only Business Members are allowed to post contact info. Please click “Upgrade” to become a Business Member.

8. #8 Coconu garden 
    Dear sir,
    kindly do the intercrop cultivation in between the coconut trees .Its increase the relative humidity and moisture .So the Rh & Moisture will aviod trying of flowers and dropping.these things are done after putting the manure refered by somany members.The Nutmeg is very wise plant intercrop cultivation.

fore more details please contact us;

A Sivakumar
    priya nursery Garden
    Karaikudi-630001
    priyagar06@yahoo.co.in
    Home

Dear sn_ka_1965 ,

The reason as to why your coconut trees are not bearing nuts is that the trees are closely planted. 15 feet apart between trees is what you have mentioned.

If the trees are 10 years old then the trees are competing for sunlight and their sole aim is to outgrow other trees. as a result of this any application of fertilizer is only going to aggravate the situation.

The minimum recommended spacing for coconut trees is 25 * 25 feet.

Measure the distance between trees once again and if it is 15 * 15 feet then you have no other alternative but to remove one tree in between.

by doing this the spacing for the trees will be 30 * 30 feet.

You need not be worried of loosing trees because with the added spacing the remaining coconut trees will give you a very good yield after about a years time.

Once you have removed the trees use the leaves of the felled trees as a mulch for the remaining trees. Spread the leaves across the Field and use a 12 disc harrow to plough your Field. If you have any source of cow dung manure then spread it before plouging. After this you can release earth worms in you field and watch the results.

It is also good to get your soil and water tested and based on the results you can act further.

After a year you can think of inter-cropping as you have abundant spacing between trees.
    Last edited by vkv_2; July 26th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Dear all,

THANKS & REGARDS
    S.N.KARTHIKEYAN
    hi buddy base on my experience about you problem i was using salt 500 grms per tree and every three months for one year and i have a good result you can also apply a soil neutralizer to get rid the soil acid